Marlies Defeat Devils
February 12, 2017
Toronto: T. Dermott (3) PP (D. Timashov, B. Findlay), J. Holl (3) (K. Rychel, A. Campbell), B. Froese (23) SH (A. Johnsson, A. Campbell), F. Corrado (1) (B. Findlay, C. Smith), J. Holl (4) (C. Smith), A. Johnsson (13) (B. Froese)
Goaltender: G. Sparks 31/33
Albany: C. Camper (3) (J. Jacobs, N. Lappin), R. Scarlett (3) PP (J. MacDonald, B. Coleman)
Goaltender: K. Appleby 25/31
FROM THE SCORESHEET
- Travis Dermott opened the scoring on the power-play with his third of the season at 3:08 of the first period. Dermott has scored in consecutive games and has 17 points (3 goals, 14 assists) through 36 games this season.
- Justin Holl picked up his third of the season at 1:00 of the second period and added a second at 14:51 of the third period. Holl has scored in consecutive games and has registered nine points (3 goals, 6 assists) through 47 games this season.
- Byron Froese scored his team leading 23rd goal and second shorthanded of the season at 14:25 of the second period. Froese added an assist on Johnsson’s third period goal for his ninth multi-point game of the season. Froese is currently riding a five game point streak, collecting ten points (6 goals, 4 assists) in that span.
- Frank Corrado scored his first of the season at 12:50 of the third period to give the Marlies a 4-2 lead. Corrado has five points (1 goal, 4 assists) in his last three games.
- Andreas Johnsson registered his 13th goal of the season at 16:04 of the third period and added an assist earlier in the game on Froese’s shorthand goal. Johnsson has eight points (3 goals, 5 assists) in his last five games.
- Dmytro Timashov extended his point streak to three games with the primary assist on Dermott’s first period power-play goal. Timashov has eight points (4 goals, 4 assists) in his last eight games.
- Brett Findlay picked up two assists. Findlay has eight points (4 goals, 4 assists) through 14 games this season.
- Kerby Rychel recorded an assist tonight and has 32 points (11 goals, 21 assists) through 47 games this season.
- Andrew Campbell, Colin Smith and Brett Findlay all picked up two assists in tonight’s game. Smith and Campbell both registered their 100th AHL assist.
- Garret Sparks stopped 31 of 33 shots for his 13th win of the season. Sparks holds a 2.17 Goals Against Average and a .924 Save Percentage.
- The Marlies improve to a 13-8-2-0 home record
- Toronto went 6-for-7 on the penalty kill and 1-for-4 on the power-play.
- The Devils outshot the Marlies 33 to 31. Byron Froese led the way with six shots on goal.
- The Marlies are 8-1-1-0 in their last ten games.
- The Marlies remain undefeated in regulation on Sundays.
- The Marlies are 3-3-1-1 this season against the Devils (2-1-1-0 at home).
- Byron Froese has registered a team high nine points (6 goals, 3 assists) in seven games this season against the Devils.
- Travis Dermott has recorded six points (2 goals, 4 assists) in seven games this season against the Devils.
- Toronto has outscored Albany 24-21 through eight games this season.
““We got a power-play goal to get us started early on and then I thought at even strength we just played better, brought the puck up a lot better so as a result spent much less time in our end, a lot less pressure on our defense as a result. A lot of special teams in the game, we're not happy to give up the penalty kill goal. Scored a short-handed goal, we scored a four on four so in a lot of those good situations we found a way to come out on top and then we just had a good third period. Pucks went in and we didn't give up a whole lot and when we did Sparks was outstanding.“
- Sheldon Keefe, Marlies Head Coach
NEXT GAME: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 vs Utica - 7:00 p.m. EST